'Bring our children back': Kashmiri students’ parents in Iran seek centre’s intervention
Press Trust of India | January 15, 2026 | 08:32 AM IST | 1 min read
The Indian Embassy in Tehran has advised students to leave Iran on their own, prompting parents to appeal to the Centre for evacuation amid rising tensions.
Srinagar: The parents of Kashmiri students currently studying in Iran have appealed to the Centre to bring their children back due to ongoing tensions in the country. Scores of concerned parents gathered at the Press Enclave here to urge the government's intervention. "We appeal to the prime minister, the external affairs minister, the chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir, and the lieutenant governor to evacuate the students from Iran," a parent told reporters here.
He expressed confidence in the government's ability to conduct an evacuation, recalling previous successful operations in countries like Ukraine and Iran. "We are grateful for the support the Centre has provided to students in the past. We are sure the government will not let the situation reach a point when the children get harmed and can facilitate their departure quickly," he added. The parents shared that the Indian Embassy in Tehran has advised the students to leave the country on their own.
Also read Delhi private schools move Supreme Court against new fee rules; oppose parent-led approval panels
"They are asking the students to contact their parents and arrange their travel independently. We can connect to our children through ISD calls, but with great difficulty, and we urge the authorities at both the Union Territory and the Centre to help facilitate their evacuation," he mentioned further.
Another distressed parent sought immediate government action, saying, "We are very worried and need the government to undertake the evacuation as they did previously." The mother of one student emphasised the difficulty parents are facing in sending travel tickets due to an internet shutdown in Iran.
"I urge the government to remove the students from there. Even if we book tickets for them, we cannot send them because of the internet blockade. It is nearly impossible for them. They should be evacuated as soon as possible," she said.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently
- Over 7 lakh Kendriya Vidyalaya students assessed via education ministry’s TARA app, 1.46 lakh on career tool
- Caste on Campus: The shape of discrimination in universities and why many back UGC equity regulations
- Across Telangana’s new government medical colleges, 26 depts empty, 31 with single teachers: Doctors’ survey
- ‘No TET’: School teachers’ jobs at risk, hundreds in Delhi to rally against mandatory eligibility tests