Over 1,000 headmaster posts vacant in Tamil Nadu high schools as court curbs stall promotions
Anu Parthiban | January 10, 2026 | 06:27 PM IST | 2 mins read
The Tamil Nadu State Education Department said legal disputes over eligibility and TET requirements have delayed appointments in government and municipal schools.
More than 1,000 high school headmaster posts remain vacant in government and municipal high schools across Tamil Nadu due to prolonged legal disputes and court restrictions on promotions. According to the State Education Department, 1,036 headmaster posts are currently vacant, as promotions could not be processed under existing court orders that restrict eligibility for the post.
Promotions could not be processed because multiple judicial rulings restrict postgraduate assistants from being promoted as high school headmasters, permitting only BT assistants to be considered for promotion, it said.
Madras HC ruling on promotions
In a judgment dated March 23, 2023, the Madras High Court held that PG assistants appointed through transfer cannot claim promotion as high school headmasters based on their prior service as BT assistants. The court reiterated this position in paragraph 63 of the judgment, it said.
Following the court order, 1,187 teachers who had already been promoted as headmasters from PG assistant posts before January 1, 2016 were allowed to continue their service without reversion, subject to further order of the high court.
The matter is now pending before the Supreme Court . A miscellaneous petition seeking prospective implementation of the high court judgment is listed for hearing on February 4. In the interim, the Supreme Court has ordered the status quo to be maintained for teachers already holding headmaster posts.
Also read Tamil Nadu teachers announce indefinite strike from January 6 after talks with state govt fail
TET requirements for promotions
Additionally, another batch of cases concerning Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) requirements for promotions from secondary grade teacher (SGT) to BT assistant and from BT assistant to headmaster is also pending before the top court.
Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu government has announced that it will conduct three special Teacher Eligibility Tests in 2026 for in-service candidates, with the recruitment board already initiating preparatory steps.
The government said it is taking all necessary steps to expedite the disposal of pending cases so that the headmaster posts in government and municipal high schools can be filled at the earliest.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]No VC, no recruitment: NSOU in limbo for 2 years; new campus unused, students stuck in NEP transition
Faculty at Netaji Subhas Open University say prolonged absence of a permanent VC has stalled teacher recruitment, research funding as institute grapples with NEP implementation; NIRF ranking slips
Pritha Roy Choudhury | 2 mins readFeatured News
]- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently
- Over 7 lakh Kendriya Vidyalaya students assessed via education ministry’s TARA app, 1.46 lakh on career tool
- Caste on Campus: The shape of discrimination in universities and why many back UGC equity regulations
- Across Telangana’s new government medical colleges, 26 depts empty, 31 with single teachers: Doctors’ survey
- ‘No TET’: School teachers’ jobs at risk, hundreds in Delhi to rally against mandatory eligibility tests