Reddit challenges Australia's world-first law banning children under 16 from social media
Press Trust of India | December 12, 2025 | 09:22 AM IST | 2 mins read
Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Kick, Snapchat, TikTok, X, YouTube and Twitch face fines of up to 49.5 million Australian dollars if they fail to remove the accounts of children under 16.
MELBOURNE: Global online forum Reddit on Friday filed a court challenge to Australia's world-first law that bans Australian children younger than 16 from holding accounts on the world's most popular social media platforms. California-based Reddit Inc's suit filed in the High Court follows a case filed last month by Sydney-based rights group Digital Freedom Project.
Both suits claim the law is unconstitutional because it infringes on Australia's implied freedom of political communication. "We believe there are more effective ways for the Australian government to accomplish our shared goal of protecting youth, and the SMMA (Social Media Minimum Age) law carries some serious privacy and political expression issues for everyone on the internet," Reddit said in a statement.
"While we agree with the importance of protecting people under 16, this law has the unfortunate effect of forcing intrusive and potentially insecure verification processes on adults as well as minors, isolating teens from the ability to engage in age-appropriate community experiences (including political discussions), and creating an illogical patchwork of which platforms are included and which aren't," Reddit added.
Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Kick, Snapchat, Threads, TikTok, X, YouTube and Twitch face fines of up to 49.5 million Australian dollars (USD 32.9 million) from Wednesday if they fail to take reasonable steps to remove the accounts of Australian children younger than 16.
Also read Over 2 lakh cyberattacks, 4 lakh data breaches hit Indian educational institutions in 9 months
Reddit moves High Court against age-restriction rule
Australia's eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant, the law's enforcer, sent compulsory information notices to the 10 age-restricted platforms on Thursday demanding data on how many accounts of young children they had deactivated since the law took effect on Wednesday.
Inman Grant had predicted that some platforms might have been waiting to receive their first notice or their first fine for non-compliance before mounting a legal challenge.
Also read How India plans to bring back its scientists from US universities facing billion-dollar grant freeze
ESafety will send six monthly notices to gauge how effectively the platforms are complying. Despite the court challenge, Reddit said it would comply with the law and would continue to engage with eSafety.
Documents filed with the court registry show Reddit will ask the seven high court judges to rule the law is invalid. Alternatively, the company wants the court to prevent the government from listing Reddit among the age-restricted platforms.
The high court will hold a preliminary hearing in late February to set a date for Digital Freedom Project's challenge on behalf of two 15-year-olds. It is not yet clear whether the two challenges would be heard together. (AP) RUK RUK
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Shooting at Kentucky State University leaves 1 dead, 1 hurt and a suspect in custody, officials say
Kentucky University: The shooting was the second in four months in the same area of the university. Classes, final exams and campus activities have been cancelled for the rest of the week.
Press Trust of India | 2 mins readFeatured News
]- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently
- Over 7 lakh Kendriya Vidyalaya students assessed via education ministry’s TARA app, 1.46 lakh on career tool
- Caste on Campus: The shape of discrimination in universities and why many back UGC equity regulations
- Across Telangana’s new government medical colleges, 26 depts empty, 31 with single teachers: Doctors’ survey
- ‘No TET’: School teachers’ jobs at risk, hundreds in Delhi to rally against mandatory eligibility tests