'Saw missiles, heard bombs in neighbourhood': Indian students recall Iran-Israel conflict horror
Press Trust of India | June 19, 2025 | 02:43 PM IST | 2 mins read
Kirti Vardhan Singh said evacuation efforts under Operation Sindhu are ongoing, with more flights lined up, including from Turkmenistan. He added that Indian missions are operating round-the-clock helplines.
NEW DELHI: "We saw missiles in the sky and heard bombs in our neighbourhood... We were petrified", said MBBS student Mir Khalif, his voice still trembling with fear, as he stepped out of the Delhi airport after being evacuated from war-hit Iran under Operation Sindhu. Khalif arrived in the national capital early Thursday in the first evacuation flight carrying 110 Indian students as part of the special operation launched by the Indian government in response to the escalating Iran-Israel conflict.
The students, including 90 from Jammu and Kashmir, were moved from Tehran to Armenia earlier this week as explosions and aerial attacks rocked Iranian cities. The rescue was coordinated by the Indian Embassy. Khalif, who hails from Kashmir, described the experience in Iran as a nightmare. "We saw missiles and heard bombings. It was a war zone. Our building shook during the attacks. I hope no student has to face what we did," he said. Varta, another student from Kashmir, recalled the fear she lived through.
"The situation was quite critical. We were terrified when our neighbourhood was attacked. When the Indian government reached our doorstep, we felt relieved," she said, thanking the Indian Embassy and Armenian authorities for their swift support. Ali Akbar, a student from Delhi, said the destruction was visible everywhere. "We saw a missile and a drone fall from the sky while travelling in a bus. Tehran is in ruins. The images on the news are real, the situation is very bad," he said.
More flights planned as evacuation continues
Minister of State for External Affairs Kirti Vardhan Singh reached the Delhi airport to receive the students. Later, in a post on X, he said, "Warmly welcomed home the first group of 110 Indian nationals evacuated from Iran as part of Operation Sindhu, reaffirming India's steadfast commitment to the safety and well-being of its citizens abroad." Singh confirmed that evacuation efforts under Operation Sindhu are ongoing, with more flights scheduled.
"Another plane is ready to leave today. We are also evacuating people from Turkmenistan. Our missions are running 24-hour helplines. As the situation unfolds, more flights will follow," he told reporters, thanking the governments of Armenia and Turkmenistan for their cooperation. At the Delhi airport, many parents waited anxiously to reunite with their children. Haider Ali, father of MBBS student Maaz Haider, said, "We are happy and grateful, but our hearts are still heavy knowing that many students are still stuck in Tehran. We urge the government to bring them back too."
Parvez Alam from Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, whose son studied in Urmia, said, "We were under constant stress. The students were shifted to Armenia and looked after well. We thank the government for this." The Jammu and Kashmir Students' Association also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar for the evacuation.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently
- Over 7 lakh Kendriya Vidyalaya students assessed via education ministry’s TARA app, 1.46 lakh on career tool
- Caste on Campus: The shape of discrimination in universities and why many back UGC equity regulations
- Across Telangana’s new government medical colleges, 26 depts empty, 31 with single teachers: Doctors’ survey
- ‘No TET’: School teachers’ jobs at risk, hundreds in Delhi to rally against mandatory eligibility tests